.cockista File is a crypto-virus that encrypts files on the target PC and demands ransom to be paid by the victim to free the files. .cockista File may attack any sort of window’s OS like Vista, Windows 7, Win 8 and Win 10. Once installed, this Ransomware uses strong encryption algorithm combination of RSA-2048 key and AES CBC 256-bit. This means files are locked with public and private key. Thus users are left with no option except to pay the ransom and get their fiels back. .cockista File may drop malicious payloads and entries in the windows’s registry to auto-launch its program. It searches for various important files like Documents, PDF, photos, music, videos, databases, etc to encrypt them.
Cyber experts always recommend keeping a backup of all important files and never pay any ransom to such criminals as it is no any guarantee that they are going to give your files back. Instead go for powerful removal tool to remove .cockista File ransomware from PC and try recovering files using data recovery tool.
The file may be programmed to download its malicious payload onto the user’s computer. The payload is reported to consist of a package file and an uninstaller.
In the user’s Desktop:
• IMPORTANT READ ME.txt
In the AppData\2019 .cockista File:
• File Decrypt Help.html
• cockista File.exe
In addition to that, 2019 Xorist begins to create or modify registry entries for the payload of the ransomware:
In the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER:
• SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “cockista File” = “%AppData%\cockista File\2019 cockista File.exe”
• Control Panel\Desktop “Wallpaper” = “%AppData%\2019 Xorist\Wallpaper.bmp”
• Control Panel\Desktop “WallpaperStyle” = 1
• Control Panel\Desktop “TileWallpaper” = 0
The malware begins to encrypt user files. It targets ALL file extensions in the most widely used Windows folders, for example:
- Downloads .doc, .exe, .mp3, .jpg, .pdf, .mp4
- After doing this, the ransomware may also directly scan the local drives and encrypt any file that is not essential to the successful running of Windows. This means third-party programs and all other files that are detected.
- In addition to those, .cockista File executes a command with administrative privileges via one of its payload modules to delete the shadow volume copies of the infected computer:
- → vssadmin delete shadows /for=z: /all /quiet
We would recommend to use below tool and run it on your computer to remove .cockista File automatically.